How To: Layer Skin Care Products

Hey, beautiful!

So, in my morning skin care routine blog post I mentioned that I applied my acne-preventing cream before applying moisturizer and I told you that was because that’s how you’re supposed to layer creams in the morning, I also said I would get into details about that in an upcoming post… Well, here’s that blog post!

Following a beauty routine, whether it’s in the morning or at night, is very important… But also, knowing how to layer products and when to apply them is just as important. Keep on reading if you want to know the right order to follow when applying your creams!

*In the morning: in general, you should apply creams from the lightest to the heaviest. This was, the heaviest product will be able to penetrate through the lightest and properly work its magic when it gets to your skin.

1. Serum: as they are packed with concentrated ingredients, they should always go first. Serums also work as a primer for what you will be applying next and can also increase the effectiveness of the creams that come later.

2. Targeted treatments: topical prescriptions and spot treatments come next to tackle any breakouts. This is also the time to bust out your eye cream!

3. All over creams: next, apply the creams that are meant to go all over your face (antioxidant creams, all-over acne-fighter creams or even facial oils).

4. Moisturizer: your moisturizer (preferably with SPF) will seal in everything you've put on so far.

5. SPF: if the moisturizer you used before doesn't have built-in sun protection, it's time to use some SPF. Never leave the house without SPF!

*At night: the order in which you apply your creams at night doesn't change that much. At night we use products that are more potent and concentrated, if you will, than those we use during the day.

1. Prescription creams or serum: use only one at a time, since they are each very strong.

2. Targeted treatments:  apply any spot treatments and a rich eye cream.

3. Moisturizing cream: use a thicker moisturizing cream, one that is made specifically for the night time. If you have oily skin though, stick to the same moisturizer you use in the morning.

I hope you all liked this post and found it helpful. If you want to see how I incorporate these orders and which products I use in my daily morning and night time routines, be sure to check out my morning skin care routine and my night time skin care routine!

Comments